[Aspell-user] incompatibility between ispell.el/emacs and aspell?

From: Allen Stoughton
Subject: [Aspell-user] incompatibility between ispell.el/emacs and aspell?
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 17:51:22 -0500

I'm running

  aspell 0.50.4
  ispell.el 3.7 beta
  emacs 20.7.1

I don't have any code relating to ispell/aspell in my .emacs file.

When I run aspell directly on files, everything works fine, including
the updating of my personal dictionary.  But I'm having trouble when I
run aspell under emacs.

The problem comes up when I accept (ignore) words for the remaining of
a session, or say that I want to insert (add) them into my personal
dictionary:

  the word that is accepted/saved, is actually ALL BUT THE LAST
  CHARACTER of the word that should have been accepted/saved.

E.g., ispell.el might highlight the word

  anotherwrongone

If I say accept/insert, then

  anotherwrongon

will be entered into the list of accepted/inserted words.  If, in the
case of insert, I answer yes when asked whether I want to update my
personal directory, then

  anotherwrongon

will actually be written the my personal dictionary.

On the other hand, if I directly run aspell on a file containing
anotherwrongone, it works correctly.

This problem also occurs with some older versions of ispell.el.
At the moment, I don't have any versions of aspell except
0.50.4.

I've found no mention of this sort of problem on the WWW, which make
me think it's a problem that I've somehow created.  But I'm at a loss
as to what I might have done.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated!

Allen Stoughton