Re: [Aspell-user] Two words checking

From: Lars Aronsson
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Two words checking
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 02:38:00 +0100 (CET)

JR Black wrote:
> Can Aspell be made to check words that may need to be
> combined?
>
> I.E.  spell checking and code word, have suggested
> spellings of spellchecking and codeword, respectively?
>
> I searched the archives and couldn't find anything on
> this.

As far as I know, Aspell only looks at isolated words and not at
phrases of two or more words.  I wish that this would change.
Certain terms like "nota bene" should be OK only in that sequence,
but the words "nota" or "bene" on their own is a spelling error.

In general, I think that spell checkers should be driven by what's in
the dictionary.  If "nota bene" (with the space) is in the dictionary,
the program should accept that space can be part of a word, not part
of any word, but part of this word.  This also goes for "N.B." where
the punctuation is part of the correct spelling of that "word".

--
  Lars Aronsson (address@hidden)
  Aronsson Datateknik - http://aronsson.se/