[Aspell-user] Re: [aspell-devel] GNU Aspell 0.60-pre2 Now Available

From: Lars Aronsson
Subject: [Aspell-user] Re: [aspell-devel] GNU Aspell 0.60-pre2 Now Available
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 08:01:06 +0200 (CEST)

Kevin Atkinson wrote:

> The second official pre-release of GNU Aspell 0.60 is now available
> [...]
> Finally here are the major changes form 0.50.5:
> [...]
>      support any language with no more than 210 distinct characters,
>      including different capitalizations and accents, _even if_ there
>      is not an existing 8-bit encoding that supports the language.

What is the common approach to unusual characters in Aspell
dictionaries and language definitions?  For example, I believe that
"zoölogy" (z-o-oumlaut-l) can be considered a correct spelling in
English, as an alternative to "zoology" (the accent marks indicate
that the second "o" is heard separately, as opposed to zoo and zoom).
Is "ö" part of the English language definition in Aspell?  Should it
be?

This question is somewhat (but not entirely) related to the inclusion
of foreign (place) names in dictionaries.  English does away with much
of this problem by renaming München to Munich, Köln to Cologne,
Göteborg to Gothenburg, etc., but sometimes needs to write Göttingen.

--
  Lars Aronsson (address@hidden)
  Aronsson Datateknik