Re: [Aspell-user] English dictionary

From: Christoph Hintermüller
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] English dictionary
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 17:51:19 +0200

Hi
Am Freitag, 8. Oktober 2004 08:54 schrieb Alex Shaw:
> I am trying to use PSpell with PHP on a host which has the PSpell libs
installed, but no dictionaries...not even english...or atleast this is what
i've concluded, because the error message...
Aspell is not pspell based any more see http://aspell.net and
http://aspell.net/old.html

> Warning: PSPELL couldn't open the dictionary. reason: I'm sorry I can't find
> any suitable word lists for the language-tag "en".
>
> When I contacted support they then said:
>
> It looks like you'll have to install your own dictionary files.
>
> So it looks like I have to install an english dictionary myself...
>
> I downloaded and extracted the bz2 & tar file which I think is for the
English dictionary(ies) but all I seen was a bunch of files which didn't look
like dictionary files...not that I know what a dictionary file looks like :)

I doubbt that new aspell dictionaries ( for aspell >= 0.50 or even the ones
for >= 0.60 ) are useable with pspell at all. (see http://aspell.net/old.html
for old ones fitting aspell 0.33 and thus pspell )
> I am on a shared host, so I have very limited access, so I think I have to
compile a dictionary into *.PWS???

Yes you have to but before you have to fetch and install aspell 0.60.x (no
need for pspell any more) befor you can compile and use the dictionaries you
get on http://aspell.net or the sites it refernces for dictionaries.

If you have to use pspell and and dictionaries from aspell < 0.50 (respective
0.33.x) than checkout http://aspell.net/old.html
> According to this: http://www.zend.com/zend/spotlight/spellchecking.php
>
> and then use my own dictionary with a call to pspell_config_personal()
>
> None of the files I looked at in the folder I extracted had a PWS extension,
so I assume I have to compile files into a PWS???

> If someone could explain how I get this done, or if i'm even on the right
track, I would really appreciate it..

Afaik at least for most of the newer dictionaries ther is a README and/or
INSTALL file packaged with stating how to compile dictionaries.

Hope that helps a bit &
cu
Xris