[Aspell-user] windows + php + aspell = trouble

From: Bram de Jong - MTG
Subject: [Aspell-user] windows + php + aspell = trouble
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 21:00:38 +0200

Hey everyone,

I've been looking at the web for about half a day, and I've seen MANY posts, but no answers... Does *anyone* here have aspell + php working on a WINDOWS installation with the 'latest' available windows versions of both?

I did all the "necessary" steps:

* added the extension to php.ini (no matter what the PHP manual says)
* copied the aspell DLL's to c:\PHP\ for good measure
* tried running aspell command line ("aspell dump dicts" and "aspell -c somefile" working perfectly)

However, in PHP:

 $pspell_config = pspell_config_create ("en","american");
 pspell_config_mode($pspell_config,"PSPELL_FAST");
 $spell = pspell_new_config ($pspell_config);

=> Warning: PSPELL couldn't open the dictionary. reason: No word lists can be found for the language "en".

I've tried multiple things (some resulting in internal server errors) as trying a unix2dos utility (suggested somewhere), trying different directories for installing (knowing that there are many programs that have trouble with the space in "program files"), etc etc

Imho the main problems for windows are that:

1. no-one seems to know how aspell figures out where you installed the dictionaries. It would make perfect sense to me to POINT aspell manualy to the dictionary locations, or at least set a config file somewhere. Is this location set in the registry? How does it work, is it possible to debug? (the fact that aspell mixes forward and backward slashes bothers me a bit, is this ok?)

2. PHP for windows doesn't seem up to date... Is anyone still actively developing PHP <-> aspell?

3. there's no windows DLL's of newer versions of either aspell or the php dll extensions.

A lot of questions!! :-)

If anyone gives me a hand solving these problems I'll make sure there's a nice and big HOWTO for PHP+windows+aspell somewhere so you guys can chill out when there's noobs like me asking these questions over and over again :-) ;-)

 - bram

--
ICMC 2005.......... http://www.icmc2005.org
MTG................ http://www.iua.upf.es/mtg