[Aspell-user] [Aspell user] Installation Aspell and Emacs under Windows

From: Harald von Aschen
Subject: [Aspell-user] [Aspell user] Installation Aspell and Emacs under Windows
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 16:31:54 +0200

Hi,

Thank you very much for your phantastic spell checker.

Because of Uwe Siarts article "Installation von GNU Emacs and AUCTeX unter MS Windows" in the "Die TeXnische Komoedie", issue 4/2004 I have tried to use Aspell under Emacs with Windows 98/II. (The article is available on Uwe's Homepage only in German
http://www.uwe-siart.de/typografie/latex.html

Because it was a not so easy task here my steps:

a) My clean emacs installation is GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (2004-03-10) from
   http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs

b) I got Aspell for win32 from
   http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/w32/Aspell-0-50-3-3-Setup.exe

After setting (setq-default ispell-program-name "aspell") and setting the environment variable path to the aspell/bin path all should work. I have opened a *.tex file and then Tools->Spell Checking ->Spell-check buffer.
1. call: starting new ispell process...
        aspell did not output version line
2. call: Ispell misalignment: word `#)' point 1; probably incompatible versions
3. call: now Aspell works: menu-bar tools spell ispell-buffer-

The second error message will be left out if I wait a long time (about 3 minutes).

Then Aspell is working but my local dictionary where I insert new words with "i" will not be updated even when I click on Save Dictionary. No entries in *.pws. What's going on here? Let's do a look in ispell.el (version 3.4). It seems that all commands are passed to Aspell like the Aspell docu is saying for "through a pipe". O.k. line 1722 might be wrong, Aspell wants a "&" for putting a word in lowercase letters in the pws. Hm. But your mailing list has helped me a lot. Message

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/aspell-user/2004-04/msg00034.html

points to

http://www.kdstevens.com/~stevens/ispell-page.html

where I have downloaded the latest development release 3.7beta and replaced the emacs ispell.el (version 3.4) by this file. And I have set the environmental variable $home to an appropriate location. Then all is working phantastic, Aspell is saving my *.pws in $home no error messages any more, quick start in Emacs.

BTW: If you have problems with your environmental variables and do not want to increase the reserved memory for them (see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;230205 for a resolution) you can put the path to Aspell in your emacs startup file e.g.
(setq-default ispell-program-name "f:/programme/aspell/bin/aspell")
This will also work.

Thank you very much for your phantastic program!

Best regards

Harald