Re: [Aspell-user] Inserting accented characters in replace mode

From: Clytie Siddall
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Inserting accented characters in replace mode
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 15:21:44 +0930

On 04/09/2006, at 10:03 PM, Eric Guindon wrote:

Clytie,
Thanks for your reply. I'm running Ubuntu Linux and writing with a
(modified) Canadian multilingual keyboard layout; my default terminal
font is monospace (11pt if that matters).

I don't run any Gt-apps, so at least we know the problem isn't there.

I'm interested in your modified keyboard layout, since my problem with Qt _only_ occurs with a Unicode Vietnamese layout I've modified myself [1]. My standard Unicode Vietnamese layouts are fine in the same situation.

If the display is OK using the same font, the font shouldn't be the issue. But if your problem is similar to my issue, the modifications to the keyboard layout look like being a factor.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about input systems to work out why. When you modified your layout, did that change the way it identified itself to the input application?

Many applications still don't have Unicode as their default encoding. That can result in some inputs being defaulted back to Latin-1 (or MacRoman, on Macs), which, if they're Unicode layouts, can mess up the input.

(Some input situations in X11 on OSX, for example, look like the underlying system is on LSD.)

Perhaps the aspell developer(s) can comment on how a modified layout would interact with their software. I certainly haven't had any trouble with my modified layout inputting into CocoAspell, but that's an OSX frontend for aspell, so I'm not dealing directly with the aspell software.

I'm always interested in input problems, though: Unicode support is improving, but we still have holes in the infrastructure.

[1] using Ukelele http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php? site_id=nrsi&id=ukelele