Re: [Aspell-user] C API and Filter Modes

From: Christoph Hintermüller
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] C API and Filter Modes
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 23:52:02 +0200

Hi
Am Donnerstag, 7. September 2006 16:55 schrieb Johnny Pickle:
> Hello,
>
> A question about the C API and Filter Modes.  I wish to use the
> ccpp filter mode, but I'm using aspell through its C API.  As I
> understand it filter modes work by file extension, so is there a
> way to make a filter mode work with the C API.  There is a config
> setting but it doesn't seem to work; should it over-ride the MAGIC
> line in the amf file?  I'm using aspell_speller_check to do
> spelling checks and I don't see anyway to set a file type.  Am I
> missing something?  If there is no way to make these work together,
> is there a third party filter I could use instead or will I have to
> roll my own?

Depends filter modes at least need the file extension and if supported
and activated the filter modes may also be selected by checkin for
characteristic strings and/or bytes in the file. If i do understand
you right you want to use the modes to properly select the filter
settings but you do not use the aspell main program. There is a
static class function which handles all the file inspection. Thus if
you still work with files and the C api gives you access to this
inspection function let this function do all the mode selection. If
you do operate on explicit files you either could generate dummy
files used to force the proper file selection. If this is not
acceptable you would have to parse the amf files manually properly
matching the extension with the filter mode and if necessary call the
byte check function to fine tune the mode selection.

CU
Xris