[Aspell-user] apell needs fixed for some platforms

From: djh
Subject: [Aspell-user] apell needs fixed for some platforms
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 15:38:50 +0900

The problem occurs when using the option below:
" -a|pipe          "ispell -a" compatibility mode"

Try it with somethign simple like:
  $ aspell -a -m -d american
or even
  $ aspell -a

both will produce the msg: "Error: nroff: dlopen returned "No such file or
directory".

Previously seen not to the "developers" group.  (No response given)
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Error: nroff: dlopen returned \"No such
> file or directory\".")
> [snip]
> Regards,
>   Darel Henman

Sent to deveoper's list (no reponse whatsoever)
>I too have encountered this problem.  My platform (cygwin/XP) is
><similar except that I use XEmacs.

>I can reproduce this from (bash) command line:

> aspell -a -m -d american
>Error: nroff: dlopen returned "No such file or directory".

>So, I don't think it has anything to do with emacs/XEmacs.

>This works on a Windows 2000 machine running aspell 0.60.2.
>Originally, the XP machine was running aspell 0.60.4.  I tried to
>configure it (./configure then make then make install) to use 0.60.2
>and 'aspell -v' says it is but it still has this problem.  Maybe
>there's still something left over from 0.60.4?  Or is it a problem
>specific to cygwin on XP?  I haven't tried upgrading the win2k box to
>0.60.4.

>Bruce Visscher

--------------------------------

This problem has been around for several months now.
I hope that the developeers are concerned enough to look into and fix this
problem.

It needs to be addressed.  This package can not be maintained in the
disfunctional state it is in.  Equally, at disadvantage because of this problem
is emacs users who want to use it as an ispell replacement.

The problem might be in some of the tools used in building aspell..

cygwin has:
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.5.23a
automake (GNU automake) 1.10
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.60
GNU Make 3.81

Each of you run;

Try it with somethign simple like:
  $ aspell -a -m -d american
or even
  $ aspell -a

and send in your results.  This might not be a cygwin only aspell build bug.

Thanks,
  D. Henman