[Aspell-user] German context sensitive case sensitive spelling (Borislav

From: ge
Subject: [Aspell-user] German context sensitive case sensitive spelling (Borislav Petkov)
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 18:32:13 +0200

Hi Boris,

I am familiar with hunspell/myspell logic, and lets assume, that aspell does
the same:

Words that are upper case in the dictionary, will be only accepted in
Upper case (for example Haus, Tier, Schar, ...)

Words that are lower case in the dictionary, will be accepted
as good both with lower and upper case first character, like:
gehen, sehen,

Bot category will be accepted as good in ALL UPPER CASES.

Mixed case will only be accepted as good, when entered
in the dictionary as mixed case (GmbH)

If both the capitalized and the lower case version are in the dictionary,
both will be accepted.

I assume, they are both there, since the upper case is a noun while the lower
case is a Verb, and therefore need different affixes.

You do not need to convert anything in your Text, and aspell should
correctly check it.

-eleonora

Hi list,

   i've been trying to spellcheck german text with aspell through the
   Text::Aspell perl module and am having difficulties figuring out how to
   tell aspell to choose the correct capitalization of certain German words
   depending on their position in the sentence.

   Certain German word classes are written in lowercase but, when used at the
   beginning of a sentence, they are capitalized. For example, the preposition
   "gegen" (eng. against) is lowercase but when a sentence starts with it, it is
   written "Gegen" (hm, doh :)). So my question is, can I do this with aspell at
   all or should I convert everything to lowercase and then spellcheck (which is
    NOT an acceptable solution at all but seems to work even if it is more
    hassle)? The problem is that both the lowercase and the capitalized version
   are to be found in the dictionary file.

   (p.s. Please cc me since I'm not on the list.)
--
Regards/Gruß,
    Boris.