Re: [Aspell-user] Aspell Spell Helper produces broken hyperlinks to M-W

From: Krzysztof Żelechowski
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Aspell Spell Helper produces broken hyperlinks to M-W
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 20:39:16 +0200

Dnia piątek, 17 września 2010 o 03:52:25 Kevin Atkinson napisał(a):
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010, Krzysztof ?elechowski wrote:
>
> > For example, see submittable [1].  The entry is in the dictionary but the
> > hyperlink [2] is fake.
> > I am not sure though whether this is an ASH problem or an M-W problem,
> > compare doable [3].
>
> There is nothing I can do about it.  I have no idea what words are
> defined in m-w.com so I just blindly create a url which will link to the
> definition, if one exists.

Why, it is technically possible to pass the hyperlink through a server-side
redirect, and periodically examine the URL visited, storing failures in a local
database.  The redirector could look up known failures and adjust the ultimate
result, e.g. trimming "x-able" to "x".

Not that I would push you to do just that, because I do not know whether it is
legally possible and economically feasible to work around problems in M-W,
although I would use Wiktionary instead where such problems are more manageable
(I have notified M-W about the issue, without mentioning ASH as the referrer,
but I have got no response from them yet and I do not really expect to get
one.)

Just my 2¢, sorry for taking your time from more important problems.
Chris