Re: [Aspell-user] Configuring spell check in mult language documents

From: Carlo Traverso
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Configuring spell check in mult language documents
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 20:24:54 +0200 (CEST)

    Swarup> I note the following question and reply, posted previously
    Swarup> on this list:

    Swarup> ----------- On Thu, 7 Jul 2011, Mahesh T. Pai wrote:

    >> How to configure aspell to check multiple languages in same
    >> document?

    Swarup> I'm afraid you can't. It is a long standing feature
    Swarup> request that might get implemented someday. Unfortunately,
    Swarup> it is not a straightforward task.  -----------

The best approximation is to use

aspell list -l lang1 | aspell list -l lang2

Only the words unacceptable in both languages will appear in the
standard output. The problem is when the set of words is different in
the two languages. For example, german does not accept an apostrophe
as a word component, but english accepts an apostrophe between two
letters; hence german and english have a different definition of
"word".

    Swarup> Still, even if checking multiple languages in the same
    Swarup> document remains too formidable a task at this time, how
    Swarup> about getting the spellchecker to ignore words in a
    Swarup> different script? If it would stop underlining all the
    Swarup> English words when I am spellchecking Hindi, that would
    Swarup> give tremendous relief.

    Swarup> So would the algorithm for getting aspell to ignore latin
    Swarup> script be different from getting it to spellcheck multiple
    Swarup> languages simultaneously?

I did not check the hindi dictionaries, but probably hindi accepts
both latin and hindi characters as word components (this is how
ancient greek, grc, does). The solution of your problem could be to
define a variant of hindi that only accepts hindi characters.

Carlo Traverso