Re: [Aspell-user] Aspell question?

From: William H. Magill
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Aspell question?
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 17:48:29 -0500

On Dec 30, 2012, at 10:59 PM, Kevin Atkinson <address@hidden> wrote:

> First off sorry about the other email, the mailing list software removed the
> attachments and converted your message to plain text.  I got the attachments
> in the copy you sent direct to me.  Notes below.
>
> On Sun, 30 Dec 2012, William H. Magill wrote:
>
>> On Dec 30, 2012, at 11:41 AM, Kevin Atkinson <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I'm not sure what the problem is. If you could attach the .aspell.en.pws I
>> might have a better idea.
>>
>> I've done a bit more "research" and have noted the following:
>>
>> 1- if I delete .aspell.en.pws and re-run aspell-import
>> the error message does not appear.
>> Then running "ispell" on the emacs buffer, it appears to work with no issues.
>> The file in question which I am editing is an html file.
>>
>> 2-
>> A) If I then (using emacs) delete the first line and save the file as s.1
>> B) then sort s.1>s.2
>> C) read s.2 and tack on the original first line from the original file and
>> save it again as .aspell.en.pws
>> D) the error occurs:
>> Error: /Users/magill/.aspell.en.pws: The word "personal_ws-1.1 en 635 " is
>> invalid. The character '\
>> _' (U+5F) may not appear in the middle of a word.
>> E) the file size is the same in either situation.
>
> Have another look of the file, the line "personal_ws-1.1 en 635 " is also in
> the middle of the file.

Duh ... what I get for using search instead of grep :)

>> 3- During a run of aspell-import, I get a number of errors about /M and
>> similar ispell suffixes.
>
> There are affix flags that the personal dictionary can't handle.  Something
> like this should fix it by expanding the affixes; for example "Absalom/M"
> will become "Absalom" and "Absalom's":
>
>  cat ~/A-ispell_english | aspell --lang=en expand | tr ' ' '\n' \
>    > A-ispell_english.fixed
>
> The key part is "aspell expand".  The "tr" command is used to convert spaces
> to newlines.

Worked like a charm.
Thanks.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.8.2
# MacBook Pro4.1 Core 2 Duo [2.5GHz - 4GB 667] OS X 10.6.8
# Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.8.1
address@hidden
address@hidden