Re: [Aspell-user] aspell - Unknown mode: "nroff"

From: Agustin Martin
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] aspell - Unknown mode: "nroff"
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 18:38:28 +0200

[Seems that the old hispalinux alias I was using for the subscription is not
working as expected. Resubscribed with other email in case old one cannot be
recovered.]

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 04:47:47PM +0200, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
> [Please keep your reply to the lists. I am CC the list in my replies.]
>
> On 08/20/2014 04:43 PM, Cook, Kevin J wrote:
> >I do not know.  My Sys Admin installed it.  And I am positive he will not
> >even remember a thing about it.
> >
> >Would it be a problem if he just re-installed it?  Does he need to
> >un-install it first?  Where is the download for him to install it?
> It may be helpful to uninstall it first.  Tell him Aspell is looking for the
> file "none.amf" and can't find it.  I can not assist you any more in this
> matter.

Hi, Kevin,

This has been reported in Debian as happening when 'data-dir' and 'lib-dir'
do not match

https://bugs.debian.org/612051

The temporary workaround at that time was to make them match again.

Looking at

https://bugs.debian.org/667592 [libaspell15: please add multiarch support]

I was playing with some things there, and found this problem when 'data-dir'
and 'lib-dir' are set to diferent values.

I have straced the failing aspell call and seems I know what is happening.
The relevant parts are, when checking a tex file,

open("/usr/lib/aspell/tex.amf", O_RDONLY) = 5
access("/usr/lib/aspell/tex-filter.info", F_OK) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)
write(2, "Error: The filter \"tex\" does not"..., 40Error: The filter "tex"
does not exist.

With 'lib-dir=/usr/lib/aspell' and 'data-dir=/usr/share/aspell', aspell
installs ".amf" files under /usr/lib/aspell, but installs "*-filter.info"
under /usr/share/aspell, making aspell fail when looks for tex-filter.info
under /usr/lib/aspell.

I have been playing with patch below which, once propagated to the autotools
buildchain, tries to install all filter related things under 'lib-dir'. This
seems to make aspell work again in such cases.

Regards,

--
Agustin