[Aspell-user] Extract affix compressed word list from aspell dictionary

From: Schlögl , Tristan
Subject: [Aspell-user] Extract affix compressed word list from aspell dictionary
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2017 10:56:21 +0000

Hi,

I’m working on OSX 10.11.6, having aspell installed via macports. I’d like to
use the TexStudio LaTeX spell checking functionality with British English and
–ise endings *only*. Per default, TexStudio provides spell checking for British
English including –ize *and* –ise spellings. For using custom spell checking in
TexStudio I need to provide a .dic file that contains a list of words like this
--------------------------
onionskin/MS
onshore
on-stage
opaque/PTSY
--------------------------
and an .aff file with content like this
--------------------------
SFX M Y 1
SFX M 0 's .
SFX B Y 48
SFX B e able [^acegilotu]e
--------------------------

I realised that aspell provides dictionaries for en_GB-ise, which is exactly
what I want. My idea is now to extract that information from aspell into files
that TexStudio understands. I installed aspell via macports and tried the
command
aspell dump master en_GB-ise > en_GB-ise.dic
which works, but there are no affixes in the wordlist. On this website
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/dict/0index.html
I found English dictionaries that contain an ‘en_affix.dat’ file which seems to
be what TexStudio expects as an .aff file. But how do I force aspell to use
this affix file when creating a wordlist? I know there is the option
‘affix-compress true’, but I couldn’t make this option working for me and
honestly, I don’t really know where exactly to use it.

Regards
Tristan