auctex-devel

Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Reopening environments.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Reopening environments.
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 14:39:46 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> [...]
>> Well, the _real_ fix would be to have the darn master file bigfoot.drv
>> parsed instead of getting its parse info overwritten with that of
>> bigfoot.dtx.  Everything else is just patching around symptoms.
>
> Okay, I am obviously lacking some knowledge about doc, docstrip, etc.
>
> Are the lines shown above in the driver file without the "%<driver>"
> prefix?  Is the driver file produced from those lines by running
> docstrip on the dtx file?

Yes, in this case.  But there is no reliable standard just what
docstrip flag might get used for the driver file.

The above file also has

%    \begin{macrocode}
%<installer> \input docstrip
%<installer&make> \askforoverwritefalse
%<installer> \generate{
%<installer>    \file{suffix.drv}{\from{suffix.dtx}{driver}}
%<installer>    \file{bigfoot.drv}{\from{bigfoot.dtx}{driver}}
%<installer&!make>    \usedir{tex/latex/bigfoot}
%<installer>    \file{suffix.sty}{\from{suffix.dtx}{style}}
%<installer>    \file{bigfoot.sty}{\from{bigfoot.dtx}{style}}
%<installer> }
%<installer> \endbatchfile
%    \end{macrocode}

which is supposed to end up in xxx.ins.

> If these questions can be answered positively then it can happen as
> well that we have to deal with a dtx file only, if e.g. docstrip was
> not run.

I don't think that anybody can demand that.  Running LaTeX required a
working master file, and a working master file is either the file
itself, in which case it will sport an uncommented preamble, or a
separate driver file, which then needs to be the master file.

> But of course this problem is unrelated to master/slave files with
> identical base names.

Anyway, it would appear that the info for bigfoot.drv is not
overwritten by that of bigfoot.dtx, but rather that for bigfoot.sty.
This is all a mess.  We really should not strip extensions when
parsing style info.