auctex-devel

[AUCTeX-devel] Re: [AUCTeX-diffs] Changes to auctex/toolbar-x.el

From: David Kastrup
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: [AUCTeX-diffs] Changes to auctex/toolbar-x.el
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:27:53 +0200

Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:

> +(defun toolbarx-find-image (name)
> +  "Return an image object from image on NAME, a string.
> +In Emacs, return a image descriptor from NAME and in XEmacs,
> +return a glyph.
>
> +Usually it should NAME does not contain a directory or an
> +extension.  If the extension is omitted, `xpm', `xbm' and `pbm'
> +are tried.  If the directory is omitted, `toolbarx-image-path' is
> +searched."
> +  ;; `find-image' in Emacs 21 looks in `load-path' and `data-directory'.  In
> +  ;; Emacs 22, we have `image-load-path' which includes `load-path' and
> +  ;; `data-directory'.
> +  ;;
> +  ;; If there's some API in XEmacs to find the images, we should use it
> +  ;; instead of locate-library.
> +  (or (when (fboundp 'find-image)
> +     (let ((load-path toolbarx-image-path))
> +       ;; We promised to consider toolbarx-image-path.
> +       (find-image `((:type xpm :file ,(concat name ".xpm"))
> +                     (:type xbm :file ,(concat name ".xbm"))
> +                     (:type pbm :file ,(concat name ".pbm"))))))
> +      ;; The following is for XEmacs and "name" _with_ extension.  I doubt
> +      ;; that the latter is useful, but the doc string says so.

    find-image is an autoloaded Lisp function in `image'.
    (find-image SPECS)

    Find an image, choosing one of a list of image specifications.

And just _how_ is this autoloaded Lisp function going to be found when
load-path gets pointed elsewhere?

Reiner, please don't replace one hack with an even more ugly and
dangerous one.  I propose that toolbarx-find-image just uses its old
method (but let us remove data-directory from toolbarx-image-path).
Only when that fails, does it call find-image.

That is reasonably clean and efficient, and it only depends on
find-image working.