auctex-devel

[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Future AUCTeX distribution

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Future AUCTeX distribution
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 19:58:12 +0100

   David> "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden> writes:
   >>
   >> The version in the package tree should stay there.  Anybody who gets
   >> it from our CVS should know what they're doing (that's a normative
   >> statement, not informative).

   David> I don't mind about the CVS.  But doesn't what's in the CVS
   David> end up automatically on the package servers (where nothing
   David> else is allowed if I understand correctly) and in sumo
   David> tarballs?  People using the package servers will assume
   David> getting the latest version, and of course people using the
   David> sumo balls are counting on something reasonably up-to-date,
   David> too.

I think one important point is SUMO. Most users I know, (and who are
not experts) usually will tend to the SUMO version. I am just in the
middle of trying to get the new auctex 11.82 version to work (the
problem are mostly caused by the fact that preview is now included
within auctex), however the delay is only caused by the lack of my
time.

I agree with David that it would be ideal if the core auctex
developers would control the version to be shipped with xemacs,
because well they are the maintainers and the even have made the
(nice) effort to produce a xemacs-pkg themselves (the only other lisp
package) I know, which does this, is x-symbol (vm seems to work
differently). I have not even participated in any discussion
concerning adding that feature (generating the xemacs-pkg).
Unfortunately no other user came up as volunteer as a auctex packer.

It is most unfortunate that xemacs, ui, pui does not manage 3rd party
pkg, as does dkpg and rpm.

   >> Whether tarballs should be available or not is up to Uwe, mostly,
   >> and Norbert.

However since I think that SUMO is important I will try my best to
provide a sync with 11.82 and can hope that in the future things will
be more smooth on my side (and that the structure of auctex will stay
the way it is at least for the near future.)

Uwe