auctex-devel

[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Cleaning functionality

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Cleaning functionality
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 11:05:56 +0100

On Mon, Feb 06 2006, Ralf Angeli wrote:

> * Reiner Steib (2006-02-05) writes:
>> On Sun, Feb 05 2006, Ralf Angeli wrote:
[...]
>>> The resulting customization options may not be easily
>>> understandable by users not familiar with regular expressions.
>>> Consequently we could provide the option to use a list of suffixes
>>> instead of a regular expression and use such a list in the "easy"
>>> cases like (La)TeX and ConTeXt modes as default.
>>
>> A compromise might be to use a list of regexps.
>
> Hm, not a bad option.  My concerns are that you will have to write a
> lot of "\."'s for the extension delimiters and "\'"'s for matching
> their ends.  And if you fail to do that correctly, mismatches will
> happen which would be rather fatal when it comes to deleting files.

sound like too much DWIM, but if it's explicitly documented and the
user already can see examples, it should be okay.

> In any case I am thinking about optionally opening a window which
> displays the files to be deleted so that the user can check if there
> is anything she wants to keep.

Maybe a variable `TeX-confirm-clean' with values like nil (don't ask),
t (ask for every file) and 'once (ask only once for each call of
TeX-clean; maybe combined a listing of the files) should be added.

> Additionally (not so much related to the above) I changed `TeX-clean'
> in a way that it will delete intermediate files if being called
> without argument and both intermediate and output files if being
> called with a prefix argument.  Consequently, in `TeX-command-list'
> there will be both a "Clean" and a "Clean All" entry.

Good idea.

>> Or use `custom-split-regexp-maybe' (like in `gnus-visible-headers').
>
> But this will only work for very simple regexps without grouping.

Yes, but it would be possible to rewrite the regexp in a way that it
works.  :-)

> ELISP> (custom-split-regexp-maybe "\\.\\(foo\\|bar\\)")

Probably `custom-split-regexp-maybe' should better signal an error in
such a case.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,