auctex-devel

Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Usage of install.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Usage of install.el
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 00:03:05 -0500

> Please also keep in mind people who want to create distribution packages
> (deb or rpm or similar):

This seems orthogonal.  Such package management system typically work on the
output of the equivalent of "make install".

> - Compilation will most probably be done at the time the deb/rpm is
>   unpacked (otherwise we'd need one auctex package for each emacs flavor
>   we ship, that could be xemacs21, emacs21, emacs22 and emacs-snapshot
>   in Debian lenny).

That's fine.  Install.el distinguishes compilation from installation.
Actually it the compilation step takes place after the installation proper,
so it's particularly friendly.

> - any remaining documentation files need to be installed at a different
>   place, /usr/share/doc/auctex (but that can be done independent of
>   install.el, I think).

Indeed.

        Stefan