auctex-devel

Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Wrap dollars around active region

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Wrap dollars around active region
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 00:35:51 +0200

Hi Florêncio,

2013/6/4 Florêncio Neves <address@hidden>:
> I am trying to say that whoever uses electric-pair-mode probably wants
> electric dollar signs and this should work automatically
> out-of-the-box, instead of requiring rebinding $ or setting one extra
> AUCTeX option.
>
> I now realize that when the region is active, electric-pair-mode wraps
> the region with the corresponding delimiter.  Why not drop
> TeX-insert-dollar altogether and let $ be bound to
> self-insert-command?
electric-pair doesn't know anything about (La)TeX, its math mode, its
comments, its verbatim constructs, instead `TeX-insert-dollar' is much
smarter and we are trying to improve it further.  I don't see why one
should want to lose all its features binding `$' to
`self-insert-command'.  For example, if we manage to apply the patch
we are talking about, you'll be able to do all you can do with
electric-pair, but also to insert `\(...\)' (and in LaTeX this is
often more useful than `$...$', e.g., see
http://texblog.net/latex-archive/maths/inline-math-mode/) or toggle
"inline math" → "display math" → "no math".  Believe me, you won't
miss electric-pair for `$' ;-)

Bye,
Mosè