auctex-devel

Re: [AUCTeX-devel] latex-pretty-symbols.el and subscripts (x-symbol): do

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] latex-pretty-symbols.el and subscripts (x-symbol): don't display _ or ^
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 07:56:48 +0200

Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

> I just found out that latex-pretty-symbols.el provides, at first
> glance, basically the same features as x-symbol-mode.

Just for the record: I've just added `prettify-symbols-mode' support for
(La)TeX to Emacs' built-in tex-mode.el.  If you run a very, very recent
emacs, you could activate that in AUCTeX using

  (setq-local prettify-symbols-alist tex--prettify-symbols-alist)
  (add-function :override (local 'prettify-symbols-compose-predicate)
                #'tex--prettify-symbols-compose-p)

in a function in LaTeX-mode-hook.  I'll add that do AUCTeX, too (if
p-s-m is available).

> However there is one small difference:
>
>     - both package display sub and superscripts actually one a
>       lower/higher position compared with the orginal line as in
>       $\int_a^b$, however x-symbol-mode does *not* display _ or ^,
>       while GNU emacs does. Can I customize this behaviour?

The above also displayes the _ and 1 as-is.  I didn't really test, but I
think `prettify-symbols-mode' can't really do this.  It can just take
symbols (in the syntax-table sense) and compose them to some unicode
character.  That doesn't suffice for what you are looking for.

Bye,
Tassilo