Re: [AUCTeX] (setq TeX-auto-save t) really necessary?

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] (setq TeX-auto-save t) really necessary?
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 16:33:11 +0200

* Uwe Siart (2005-05-09) writes:

> My question is whether there is a serious loss in performance without
> having (setq TeX-auto-save t). To my understanding the only consequence
> is that AUCTeX doesn't remember its parsing information between sessions
> but this shouldn't be so bad on nowadays machines.

If you open a slave file, AUCTeX will neither open the master file and
parse it, nor will it open other slave files because it does not now
about them.  It relies on such information to be stored in the `auto'
subdirectory.  By not enabling `TeX-auto-save', you are effectively
dumping the advantages of parsing in multi-file documents.

--
Ralf