Re: [AUCTeX] Install report: XEmacs and Windows XP

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Install report: XEmacs and Windows XP
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 22:05:11 +0200

"Michael Forster" <address@hidden> writes:

> Is that too old? I know nothing about texinfo, but I suspect a different
> problem.  Makeinfo actually chokes on the following two lines in
> preview/preview-dtxdoc.texi:
>
>     \DescribeMacro{\PreviewOpen}
>     \DescribeMacro{\PreviewClose}
>
> This looks different than other such lines in the file. Could it be line 65 in
> preview-dtxdoc.pl?
>
>     if (s/\\DescribeMacro\{(.*?)\}[ \n]/address@hidden $1\n/) {
>
> Maybe the [ \n] matches on unix, but not on Windows? Note that cvs translates
> line endings if the file is checked in as ASCII.

Well, looks like \n is not a single character on Windows.  Does the
following patch help?

Actually, we get into pretty much the opposite problem as expected, I
think.  Unix file endings will not get recognized by \n in Perl.  This
is really a bunch of crummy junk if I ever saw it.  I have no idea how
to deal with this: a distribution tarball will obviously not
distinguish between binary and non-binary files and we seemingly need
DOS line endings after all.

And I really do not want to think about what we have to expect on
Macintoshes.