Re: [AUCTeX] New commands to activate AUCTeX?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] New commands to activate AUCTeX?
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 16:13:40 +0200

Uwe Siart <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Yes, mostly. Loading auctex.el has the advantage that it has the
>> path to tex-site.el hardwired into it: that way you are pretty sure
>> to get the most up-to-date version of AUCTeX even if other
>> tex-site.el are flying around on your system. Given the number of
>> error reports where people had an old tex-site.el shadowing the new
>> installation, I think this is prudent.
>
> And the hardwired path ensures that in the future there are no old
> auctex.el's (pointing to old tex-site.el's) shadowing the new
> installation? Isn't this just another link in the chain?

The current installation occurs into a .nosearch protected directory.
This only gets added into the load-path by tex-site.el.  And that
means that we get a consistent combination of tex-site.el and
corresponding AUCTeX installation.

Of course, with some wild changing installation schemes by package
providers and users it will be possible to have one installation
shadow another, also in future.

But for one thing configure warns about that (at least when I am
through with up-porting the preview-latex stuff for that), and for
another, you then get a _consistent_ combination of tex-site.el and
AUCTeX files, even if it happens to be an outdated one.