Re: [AUCTeX] Re: 'macros.texi' missing in snapshots?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Re: 'macros.texi' missing in snapshots?
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 11:42:25 +0200

Uwe Siart <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> It is quite clearly stated that a recent version of makeinfo is
>> required _if_ you are going to build from CVS _or_ are touching
>> source files.
>
> I checked the following: msys-1.0.10.exe comes with makeinfo v4.3
> while a recent MiKTeX includes makeinfo v4.7. Then I renamed MSYS'
> makeinfo.exe to force the use of v4.7 and I still get the originally
> reported error with snapshot 20050607-a.
>
> Then I renamed MSYS' texi2dvi to force the use of MiKTeX's texi2dvi
> and then it worked like a charm.
>
> Does this mean that Win32 installation instructions will have to
> include hints for how to use the correct texi2dvi script?

I'd rather not.  Probably we should forget this whole search path
business and just put a macros.texi into preview/doc which does

@include ../../doc/macros.texi

The obvious disadvantage of that is that if we distributed the
documentation in
man/
and
man/preview
subdirectories in some XEmacs package, then man/preview/macros.texi
there would fail to work.  Maybe we should not even put it there.

However, given that without explicit instructions, everything in the
subdirectory is going to fail anyway without special commands, this
does not seem like a major problem.