[AUCTeX] Re: A Bug in AUCTeX?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: A Bug in AUCTeX?
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 14:00:27 +0200

Moved to address@hidden

> I want to report a strange behavior of AUCTeX in combination with
> Emacs, Xemacs, and LaTeX2e.

[...]

> When I edit a LaTeX file, I am by default in math mode. If I now
> type "`o", I do not get "\omega" as I should, but rather "`o not
> defined". However, I get the correct result "\omega" by typing "`w"
> which should not exist at all according to the AUCTeX documentation.

According to _which_ AUCTeX documentation?  The versions you use for
Emacs and XEmacs are completely different.

> On my PC, I also have Emacs installed, although I normally prefer to
> work with Xemacs. In order to find out whether the strange behavior
> of "`o" and "`w" is an Xemacs or an AUCTeX problem, I also tried it
> on Emacs, but there I observed that "`o" and "`w" work as they
> should according to the AUCTeX documentation.

Different versions have different documentation.

> I am using the following version of Emacs:
>
>>  Emacs  : GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i586-suse-linux, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
>>   of 2005-03-22 on lorien
>>  Package: AUC TeX 11.14

Stone age.

>>  current state:
>>  ==============
>>  (setq
>>   window-system 'x
>>   LaTeX-version "2e"
>>   TeX-style-path '("style/" "auto/"
>>                    "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/style/"
>>                    "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/auto/")
>>   TeX-auto-save nil
>>   TeX-parse-self nil
>>   TeX-master t
>>   )
>
> So, it seems that Xemacs and Emacs use different versions of AUCTeX
> on my PC (AUCTeX sumo-2005-01-18 vs AUC TeX 11.14), and I cannot
> decide whether AUCTeX or Xemacs is to be blamed for the irritating
> behavior of "`o" and "`w", respectively.

Neither.  There have been changes in the keybindings.  The new
keybindings are in line with the Babel input conventions for Greek and
Emacs' greek-babel input method.  There is no sense in maintaining
separate conventions for what all amounts to Greek.  So the
keybindings were switched to correspond to the normal Greek
conventions in connection with TeX.

Once you upgrade your AUCTeX to something newer than the appallingly
outdated 11.14 (which does not support PDFTeX, for one thing), things
will come into line again.

Of course, the changes are documented in the respective reference
cards.  You might want to print out a new version.