Re: [AUCTeX] Install report: Emacs and Windows 98

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Install report: Emacs and Windows 98
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 17:48:47 +0200

* David Kastrup (2005-07-23) writes:

> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> BTW, some file variables (like `TeX-lisp-directory') in tex-site.el
>> are already computed dynamically.  If all were computed like this, we
>> could probably provide a pre-built version of AUCTeX for Windows users
>> which would only have to be extracted into an existing Emacs tree.  No
>> downloading of MSYS, no configuring, no building.  That'd be quite
>> convenient.  Or did I miss something?
>
> gswin32c, but that's nothing that one could not put into tex-mik.el or
> tex-fptex.el if necessary.

What might be a bit dangerous with something like a zip file is that
it can easily be extracted into the wrong place and has no roll-back
mechanism.  So it could accidently plaster the wrong directory with
its contents.  A superior solution would be a small installer which
prompts for the Emacs directory and does a few sanity checks.  Or we
just provide both Emacs and AUCTeX in a single zip file.  The
ready-to-edit solution if you so want.  Of course that'd be quite a
large download.

--
Ralf