[AUCTeX] Newbie Question: TeX-macro-global

From: Joel J. Adamson
Subject: [AUCTeX] Newbie Question: TeX-macro-global
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 13:46:09 -0400

Dear List,

I'm a total newcomer to TeX after admiring its output for years. I decided to get AUCTEX so I could combine it with XEmacs (obvious choice), another new thing for me that I totally love.

Here's my situation: XEmacs (latest release) with the precompiled AUCTEX for XEmacs package; MiKTeX 2.5 on Windows XP. I installed XEmacs and MiKTeX in C:\ (instead of Program Files) to avoid any pathname difficulties.

Here's the problem:
When I hit the LaTeX button, I can format files when they're open/saved in the MiKTeX directory (or any subdirectory), but nowhere else; I did it hierarchically saving the input file in C:\Miktex2.5\tex\latex\base\, then C:\Miktex2.5\tex\latex\, then C:\Miktex2.5\tex\, then C:\Miktex2.5\, then C:\, which is when it stopped working). If I open an input file anywhere other than C:\Miktex2.5\, I get "Windows API Error 123, path name, volume label or file name are incorrect." even though it correctly quotes the style file pathnames in the error message; I also get "LaTEX correctly formatted [0] pages." If it's in the MiKTeX directory (or any subdirectory), it works flawlessly and produces a beautiful .dvi.

I've tried fiddling with the customize variables open through `customize-group' `AUCTEX', but everything seems to be the same.

Let me know what I"m missing or where I need to look in the manual.

Thanks,
Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson Biostatistician