[AUCTeX] Re: Newbie Question: TeX-macro-global

From: Bernt Guldbrandtsen
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: Newbie Question: TeX-macro-global
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 07:28:44 +0000 (UTC)

David Kastrup <dak <at> gnu.org> writes:

> "Joel J. Adamson" <jadamson <at> partners.org> writes:
>
> > When I hit the LaTeX button, I can format files when they're
> > open/saved in the MiKTeX directory (or any subdirectory), but nowhere
> > else;  I did it hierarchically saving the input file in
> > C:\Miktex2.5\tex\latex\base\, then C:\Miktex2.5\tex\latex\, then
> > C:\Miktex2.5\tex\, then C:\Miktex2.5\, then C:\, which is when it
> > stopped working).
> >
> > If I open an input file anywhere other than C:\Miktex2.5\, I get
> > "Windows API Error 123, path name, volume label or file name are
> > incorrect." even though it correctly quotes the style file pathnames
> > in the error message; I also get "LaTEX correctly formatted [0]
> > pages."  If it's in the MiKTeX directory (or any subdirectory), it
> > works flawlessly and produces a beautiful .dvi.
> >
> > I've tried fiddling with the customize variables open through
> > customize-group' `AUCTEX', but everything seems to be the same.
> >
> > Let me know what I"m missing or where I need to look in the manual.
>
> Are the MikTeX binaries in your PATH variable?  Namely, can you open a
> command line window, change to an arbitrary directory, and call
> latex
> on the command line without getting "Command not found" or similar?

I see the exact same thing. After updating to MikTeX 2.5 running anything from
XEmacs under AUCTeX fails with the following error message:
Running `LaTeX' on `test' with ``latex  "\nonstopmode\input{test.tex}"''
This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.6-2.2 (MiKTeX 2.5)
entering extended mode
LaTeX2e <2005/12/01>
Babel <v3.8g> and hyphenation patterns for english, dumylang, nohyphenation, ge
rman, ngerman, french, loaded.

(test.texlatex: Windows API error 123: The filename, directory name, or volume
label syntax is incorrect.

LaTeX exited abnormally with code 1 at Thu Sep 21 09:18:50
In other words XEmacs finds the right executables etc. as I would have expected.
Could there be some issue with path processing in XEmacs? XEmacs, Windows XP,
AUCTeX and MikTeX are all fully updated.

Launching XEmacs from a DOS shell with ``.\XEmacs -q'' (i.e. without loading the
init files) and loading AUCTeX manually does not change anything.

Running MikTeX from NT Emacs works as before. That is, I'm not really sure
whether to call this an Windows XEmacs or a MikTeX issue.

Versions:
---------
Windows XP2 fully updated
XEmacs 21.4.19; January 2006