Re: [AUCTeX] preview-latex problem comes from dvips

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] preview-latex problem comes from dvips
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 10:07:08 +0200

"Adam Johnson" <address@hidden> writes:

> My most recently updated MikTeX 2.5 gave me some trouble when I
> tried to use the dvips command.  The eps files could not be included
> in the postscript file.  The compilation window mentions that dvips
> cannot find these figures.
>
> One reason is because all my eps figures are shared among documents
> and not in the same folder as the tex source files. (I used
> \graphicspath to set a different graphic path in my tex master
> file.)  When using dvips command with -R0 option, you may solve this
> problem (I Googled this sugguestion).
>
> Since preview-latex also has two commands: preview-dvips-command and
> preview-fast-dvips-command, who use dvips, you may need to customize
> these commands and add the -R0 option:
> "dvips -Pwww -i -E %d -R0 -o %m/preview.000" and "dvips -Pwww %d -R0
> -o
> %m/preview.ps".
>
> Just for your reference if you are in the same situation as mine.

It might be a consideration to create a common command
TeX-dvips-command that the other commands refer to.  But we certainly
should not change the defaults from secure operation to insecure
operation: preview-latex does not move the directory location of the
DVI file, so it will only fail when normal dvips commands would also
fail.