[AUCTeX] Re: TeX input method in LaTeX

From: Alan Ristow
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: TeX input method in LaTeX
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 14:09:01 -0400

Reiner Steib wrote:
On Sat, Sep 30 2006, Alan Ristow wrote:

Reiner Steib wrote:
I wonder what's the point of using the TeX input method in LaTeX
files.  What's the advantage to have e.g. $α$ in the file instead of
$\alpha$.
It actually never even occurred to me to use it in math mode.

Out of curiosity: Are you saying that you switch on and off TeX input
method when entering or leaving math mode when typing LaTeX files?

No, I set the default input method to TeX, but I don't have it turned on by default. I only switch it on when I need it, which is typically when I'm writing proper names from a language other than English. I'm kind of tempted to try it in math mode now, as it might make complicated equations easier to read -- is there a particular reason that you would recommend against it?

I find that it makes accented characters in text mode easier to
read, though -- for example, Münich instead of M\"{u}nich.

Wouldn't some input method like latin-prefix ("a -> ä) be more
suitable?

I don't think so. I need characters from both Western and Eastern European languages. I haven't studied the various input methods all that closely, but it seems like when I looked through them the TeX input mode was the only one that included both ć and ç (for example). Plus it has the advantage that I can use a syntax I'm already familiar with instead of learning a new one.

(BTW, it's either Munich or München.  :-))

Thanks. I was grasping for an example and pulled one from the nearest conference paper I had on hand. Apparently they wrote it incorrectly, then I repeated the mistake....

Alan