[AUCTeX] Re: Wish: Editing multi file documents more conveniently

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: Wish: Editing multi file documents more conveniently
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 16:29:36 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

Hi David,

>> I usually organize larger LaTeX documents with one file per chapter
>> and one master file where I \include the chapters.
>>
>> What I'm missing is a comfortable way to edit the document as one
>> without having to open the files manually.
>>
>> What I think of:
>>
>>   * On a \input{foo} or \include{foo} I press some key and the
>>     corresponding file foo gets visited.
>
> M-x ffap RET

Yep, works. Thanks.

>>   * In the foo-buffer I automatically jump back to the master file when
>>     point tries to move beyond (point-min) or (point-max).
>
> C-c ^

Works, too.

>> Instead of visiting foo, its contents could be displayed directly
>> (replacing the \include{foo}) as if it was part of the including
>> file. To distinguish the including file's content from the included
>> one's another face (background) could be used (like it's done when
>> folding environments). When point moves out of the included file's
>> region it collapsed back to \include{foo}.
>>
>> In my opinion the second approch (with the folding Look & Feel) would
>> be extremely nifty, but may be hard to implement.
>
> Without a buffer-visible text, editing is not useful.

What do you mean with buffer-visible text?

>> What do you mean?
>
> Why do you use \include if you want to edit one large file, anyway?

I knew that somebody would come up with this and the main reason is,
that I have to deal with other people's files, or the beamer class
requires several files (for presentation, beamer and content). ;-)

Bye and thanks,
Tassilo
--
* delYsid has mortgage, opportunity and penis in his score file.
<delYsid> thats pretty effective against spam