[AUCTeX] How to use auctex/beamer commands to insert environments

From: mirko.vukovic
Subject: [AUCTeX] How to use auctex/beamer commands to insert environments
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:26:35 -0400

Hello,

I am writing an emacs utility to convert mind maps (See for example Freemind on
http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page) to beamer
presentations.  There is a Perl utility that does an OK job, but needs
tweaking.  Since I find programming in Perl much harder than in elisp (even
though I only recently started in elisp), I decided to try to re-write it in
elisp (That is how I get my thrills instead of bungee cord jumping and similar
activities).

I can read the maps (which are in xml format) using the xml library, and parse
the resulting nested list into a flattened list, This list has depth info
attached to each node.  Using the depth info, I can now start generating the
.tex file.  Here I am wondering whether I can re-use some of the auctex/beamer
facilities.  Here is an example of what I have in mind:

Suppose I have a string that is supposed to be a frame title (and optionally
subtitle).  Is there a function that will insert the \begin\end frame, together
with the frame title, and optional subtitle, and position the cursor

The same question goes for document structure commands, blocks and columns
(Here I am trying to do it in a way to be compatible with RefTex, if possible).
 I realize that I could go digging through the existing code, but I am afraid
that I will mis-understand some of the functions, etc (or you could label it as
just plain lazy).

Thanks,

Mirko