Re: [AUCTeX] debugging of multifile documents with TeX-next-error (2)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] debugging of multifile documents with TeX-next-error (2)
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 23:03:59 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> The log file contains lines like the following:

> LaTeX Warning: Reference `sec:embedded-data' on page 3 undefined on input
> line
> 9.
>

> LaTeX Warning: Reference `sec:xml-summary' on page 3 undefined on input line
> 12
> .
>

> LaTeX Warning: Reference `sec:xml-summary' on page 3 undefined on input line
> 12
> .
>

> LaTeX Warning: Reference `sec:workfl-pres-pdf' on page 3 undefined on input
> lin
> e 15.
>
> The linebreaks are inserted by pdflatex.  That means the regular
> expression for matching the "on input line <line>." part would have to
> be able to deal with linebreaks after _every_ character, which it
> currently does not.  Does anybody know if the insertion of these
> linebreaks can be turned off?

Yes, somebody knows.  The answer is no.  The bad news is that TeX will
break after column 79, no matter what (even if it is in the middle of
transliterating ^^M).  The good news is that the autobreakage happens
just there, so one could presumably paste stuff together again
automatically, unless MakeTeXTFM and friends or what they are called
intersperse their own output.  But then we are in trouble, anyway.

>> I am surprised to find that both "default" installation on Linux
>> (Fedora Core 6) and MacOS X exhibit the same problem, i.e. have
>> unsuitable latex versions.
>
> I was rather surprised that my version did not produce an
> exclamation mark because I thought this was standard behavior.

It was.  Sometimes when I throw a tantrum, things actually get
changed.