Re: [AUCTeX] Master file and dvi file mysteries

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Master file and dvi file mysteries
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 19:21:49 +0100

* Alan E. Davis (2007-12-21) writes:

> For example, when I copy a template from an existing *.tex file, by
> just copying the file and deleting the text, when I compile the new
> file, and try to view, I see the old *.dvi for the Master file.  This
> I can understand, and I've been compensating for this issue.

I'm not sure I understand your line of working correctly.  This is
what I understood: There is a self-contained LaTeX foo.tex.
Self-contained means it contains everything from "\documentclass" till
"\end{document}"; no includes whatsoever.  Then you copy the file
outside of Emacs, e.g. on the command line with `cp foo.tex bar.tex'.
Then you open bar.tex with Emacs and delete the text between
"\begin{document}" and "\end{document}".  After that you write some
new text and compile the file by issuing `C-c C-c LaTeX <RET>'.

If this is the case I don't understand your reference to a master
file.  What master file do you mean?

> Sometimes, however, I delete the dvi, log, etc files, and STILL---even
> without the Master file line in the bottom of the file---the old file
> is recompiled and viewed!  This seems like nonsense to me.

It's very likely that I don't understood how you are handling your
files.

By the way, you did not mention which version of AUCTeX you are
using.  This might be a small but important bit of information
required to help you.

--
Ralf