Re: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX, MSYS and Vista

From: Ciaran Taylor
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX, MSYS and Vista
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 09:38:29 +0000

Uwe Siart wrote:
On 13 Feb 2008 at 21:05, Ciaran Taylor wrote:

I'm posting this in case it's useful to users of Windows Vista who now need to use MSYS to install the latest AUCTeX.

Maybe, but ...

On my new PC at home (which runs Windows Vista), I had no problems
with Emacs 22.1 but when I came to install AUCTeX, configure and make
were fine, but make install didn't get very far without being denied
permission. I tried fiddling with permissions on various programs,
but nothing worked. Then I tried enabling the Administrator account and installing from there: problem solved!

... I'd not consider this a flaw because the messages of 'make' clearly say: "Now run 'make install' as root".

--
Uwe
Sure, installing as root is natural on *n*x, but it is not entirely obvious what the Windows equivalent is. In XP all that was necessary was to run 'make install' from a user account with administrator privileges (one might think this was equivalent to "run as root") but in Vista this is not enough: you need to use the Administrator account. This is not entirely straightforward: the Administrator account is hidden in Vista (as it was in XP also) so you have to find it and enable it before you can use it. It took me a while to figure this out, so I thought it might be helpful to report it.

Anyway, I'm not reporting this as a fault, merely a tip to other Vista users.

Ciaran.