[AUCTeX] The problem of running makeindex with AUCTeX

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: [AUCTeX] The problem of running makeindex with AUCTeX
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:16:51 +0100

I use AUCTeX with Emacs (last CVS-23.0.60) on Cygwin [1].

On the AUCTeX manual (auctex.pdf-11.85-20080210, page 25) is written:

If a latex run produces or changes input files for makeindex, the next suggestion will be to run that program, and AUCTEX
knows that you need to run latex again afterwards

I never have experimented this behaviour (which would be very good). I always have to run makeindex manually, i.e., after I clik on the toolbar the latex button, it does not ask to run makeindex but only to rerun latex to resolve references: if I want the index, I have to clik, between two latex command, Command|Index.

I would expect that, after the first clik on latex button, it ask to run makeindex and than to run latex newly so that all references will be resolved.

The best thing should be that one cliks a sort of 'texify' button which makes all what it needs.

But perhaps I am missing something. In that case sorry for the noise!

Cheers,
   Angelo.

---
[1] For example configuring Emacs as:

${source_dir}/configure --prefix=${prefix_dir} \
                        --enable-font-backend \
                        --with-x-toolkit=lucid

and AUCTeX as:

./configure --prefix=${prefix_dir} \
                --with-emacs=${emacs_bin} \
                --without-texmf-dir

in which ${prefix_dir} is /usr/local/emacs and ${emacs_bin} is /usr/local/emacs/bin/emacs

Facesti come quei che va di notte,
che porta il lume dietro e se' non giova,
ma dopo se' fa le persone dotte.
-
                  DANTE, Purgatorio, xxii 67-69