[AUCTeX] AUCTeX, Cygwin and Vista (Was: AUCTeX, MSYS and Vista)

From: Alexey Romanov
Subject: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX, Cygwin and Vista (Was: AUCTeX, MSYS and Vista)
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 13:38:43 -0800 (PST)

>Uwe Siart wrote:
>> On 13 Feb 2008 at 21:05, Ciaran Taylor wrote:
>>

>>> I'm posting this in case it's useful to users of Windows Vista who now
>>> need to use MSYS to install the latest AUCTeX.

Does this mean Cygwin isn't supposed to work?

>> Maybe, but ...
>>

>>> On my new PC at home (which runs Windows Vista), I had no problems
>>> with Emacs 22.1 but when I came to install AUCTeX, configure and make
>>> were fine, but make install didn't get very far without being denied
>>> permission. I tried fiddling with permissions on various programs,
>>> but nothing worked.  Then I tried enabling the
>>> Administrator account and installing from there:  problem solved!
>>>

>> ... I'd not consider this a flaw because the messages of 'make' clearly
>> say: "Now run 'make install' as root".
>>
>> --
>> Uwe
>>
>Sure, installing as root is natural on *n*x, but it is not entirely
>obvious what the Windows equivalent is. In XP all that was necessary was
>to run 'make install' from a user account with administrator privileges
>(one might think this was equivalent to "run as root") but in Vista this
>is not enough:  you need to use the Administrator account. This is not
>entirely straightforward: the Administrator account is hidden in Vista
>(as it was in XP also) so you have to find it and enable it before you
>can use it.  It took me a while to figure this out, so I thought it
>might be helpful to report it.
>
>Anyway, I'm not reporting this as a fault, merely a tip to other Vista
>users.
>
>Ciaran.

I've tried to follow your advice with Cygwin, but run into a weird
difficulty:
I get "/bin/sh: command not found". "which sh" shows
/cygdrive/c/cygwin/bin/sh.
I've replaced /bin/sh with /cygdrive/c/cygwin/bin/sh everywhere I've found
it.
Now "configure" works (if --disable-preview is used, otherwise it finds
/bin/sh somehow
on the line 4459) and so does "make". "make install" gets me
"/cygdrive/c/cygwin/bin/sh: ./mkinstalldirs: No such file or directory
make: [install-el] Error 127 (ignored)" two times, then it tries to access a
non-existent directory,
which obviously doesn't work.

All of this only happens under Administrator account -- my own
(administrator) account accesses
./mkinstalldirs all right, but of course "make install" doesn't work.