Re: [AUCTeX] Re: PDF Forward search

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Re: PDF Forward search
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 23:52:52 +0200

* Rasmus Pank Roulund (2008-05-22) writes:

>> You didn't mention how the viewer should be called for forward search,
>> so I cannot give more advice than
>> M-x customize-variable <RET> TeX-output-view-style <RET>
>
> Thanks.
> The DDE messaged is provided as
>
> (dde-message (concat "[ForwardSearch(\"" pdf-file-dos "\",\""
> filename-dos "\"," current-line ",0]" ))
>
> in the .el file.
>
> For TeXnicCenter it is
> DDE command: [ForwardSearch("%bm.pdf","%nc",%l,0)]
>
> Is there a list of what all the %x means?
>
> I tried to specify regexp for pdf files in the above variable as
> [ForwardSearch("%o","%s.tex",%l,0)] but naturally it did not work.
> How do I specify it should be a DDE command (if needed)?

You'd need a special function calling ddeclient with the respective DDE
command.  I just played a bit with it and unfortunately I haven't found
a way to use this with `C-c C-v'.

What I would like to implement is a command issueing the DDE command and
opening the viewer if it fails (and then sending the DDE command again).
But ddeclient does not seem to provide any useful return value
indicating success or failure.

An alternative could be to always call the viewer and subsequently send
the DDE command.  Unfortunately this will open a new instance of the
viewer every time.  (And I don't see a way to determine if the viewer is
already running.)

So the only possibility I see at the moment is to provide two separate
commands for starting and updating the viewer.  Or we wait until there
is a PDF viewer on Windows which behaves more like xdvi or xpdf.

--
Ralf