[AUCTeX] Re: [AUCTeX-devel] j ust starting

From: David Kastrup
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: [AUCTeX-devel] j ust starting
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2008 20:41:29 +0200

Please don't toppost with fullquote below and please keep the mailing
list copied.  Actually, this arguably does not belong on the developer
list since it is clearly a user level problem (though configuration
related).

robert coleman <address@hidden> writes:

> On Aug 3, 2008, at 10:45 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> robert coleman <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I am trying to latex a file.  All I get  is
>>> Latex:  problems after [0] pages
>>> and no .log file.
>>>
>>> It does work on my laptop.
>>
>> Sounds like you don't have latex in your PATH.  Type C-c C-l after
>> trying to LaTeX a file and see in the buffer whether LaTeX starts up
>> at
>> all.

> Thanks. I got
>
> Running `LaTeX' on `test' with ``pdflatex  -interaction=nonstopmode
> "\input" test.tex''
> /bin/sh: pdflatex: command not found
>
> LaTeX exited abnormally with code 127 at Sun Aug  3 11:03:28
>
> Now what?

If you don't have a pdflatex command in your PATH, you can't use it.  As
to why you might not have pdflatex in your PATH, all bets are off since
you don't give any detail pertaining to your system (except that it is
likely not a laptop) and your installation.

You might want to use
M-x TeX-submit-bug-report RET

or the respective menu entry for submitting problem reports.  This would
at least have given us the information which system you have.

Anyway, once you get

M-! pdflatex RET

to give out more than "command not found" (which is not really an AUCTeX
issue but a matter of setting up your system properly), you might be all
set.