[AUCTeX] Create face for tabular-environment for font changing.

From: inu
Subject: [AUCTeX] Create face for tabular-environment for font changing.
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 20:27:16 +0200

Hi,
I hope this is the correct mail-list for my question.

I write my LaTeX-source-code in a proportional font (Palatino), because long texts are much better to read this way.
Problem: The &-Symbols in tabular-environments cant be aligned properly by "\C-c\C-a"-Keystroke, when a proportional font is in use instead of monospaced. I know it is possible to change font-family for certain faces by "M-x customize-face RET" for example %-comments or $-mathcode, but the tabular-environment doesnt have its own face. Thus, my work-around is to have comments in monospaced font, and to comment/uncomment my tabulars for better alignment while working on them. But i dont like doing it this way :(.
Is it possible to create a face for the environment instead, which is delimited by "\begin{tabular}" and "\end{tabular}" like mathcode is delimited by two $-signs? And then to change the font of this environment to a monospaced font? Or instead a face which is delimited by for example two "%Mono".
If that is possible, it would be great if someone could make a lisp-code for this which i could add in my .emacs-file or tell me a (easy) way to solve this, because i am quite bad at understanding lisp-codes etc. (have been working with emacs/auctex for 2 weeks now)

Thanks in advance,
Alex

PS: Sorry for my bad english. ;-)