[AUCTeX] Re: Preview-latex temporaty files

From: adam
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: Preview-latex temporaty files
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 15:27:33 +0000 (UTC)

Leo <sdl.web <at> gmail.com> writes:
> I think what is wanting in preview is a way to keep the preview images
> persistent across reopening files (or even better, across restarting
> emacs). Generating the previews is time-consuming, in particular for a
> big document. I find it counter-productive every time the file is
> reopened, previews have to be regenerated. Maybe the way I work with
> preview is wrong. I wonder why nobody else has noticed this issue, it is
> productivity killer for me.
>
> One thing that preview can be extremely helpful is in math. Directly
> typing the math formulae is easy (even easier than using a gui equation
> editor), however editing it is a nightmare because I doubt most people
> will be able to figure out what the formula is by staring at the
> LaTeX/TeX code for a moderate complex one. But knowing that the previews
> will be gone if the file is closed, I usually just recompile the file to
> save time. (but you can imagine, if one can pick those complex formulae
> and turn them into previews and if they can survive reopening files, how
> much more efficient it will be.)
>
> Fortunately, branching in git is cheap. I now create a local branch for
> the chapter I am working on, make changes so that only that chapter is
> produced in the output to somewhat avoid recompile the whole project
> each time.

Yes, you're right. My idea was to put all intermediate files into one folder
(not to clean them), for example ~/.auctex/temp/. It _IS_ possible with backup
files and temporary files generated by autosave (normally saved in ./auto/). It
is convenient. You have _all_ intermediate files generated for _all_ documents
in one (or few) folders and not in every folder in which you make document.