[AUCTeX] Re: I don't understand how to install Auctex

From: Leo
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: I don't understand how to install Auctex
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 15:32:57 +0100

On 2009-04-01 12:16 +0100, Peter Skoglund Lindberg wrote:
> Hi address@hidden<mailto:address@hidden>,

You don't really need cygwin to run emacs+AUCTeX etc. In fact there is
precompiled emacs¹ for windows that has AUCTeX in it already, I mean no
extra installation of AUCTeX is needed.

When you have all those external tools (MiKTeX ghostscript etc.)
installed, you need to make sure the executable is in your PATH.

For preview to work in Windows, you also need to set:

;; stick this in your .emacs file
(setq preview-gs-command "C:/Program Files/gs/gs8.63/bin/gswin32c.exe")

Now when you start Emacs, you need to open a .TeX file to see AUCTeX.

Emacs is more like an operating system than a simple editor like vi/vim.
AUCTeX is one of its TeX/LaTeX editting environment. Actually Emacs has
TeX/LaTeX editting support built-in.

Footnotes:
¹  http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/download-for-windows.html
--
.: Leo :. [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ] .: I use Emacs :.