Re: [AUCTeX] (La)TeX server fill

From: gerald . jean
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] (La)TeX server fill
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 10:52:23 -0400

Hello all,

a question regarding the TeX-master variable.

> > Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
> >> [...]
> >> Regarding the activation of LaTeX mode you could use file variables
> >> which AUCTeX adds automatically to new files if you have `TeX-master'
> >> set to nil.
>
> Please consult the AUCTeX manual to learn what a nil value of
> `TeX-master' means.

C-h v «enter»
TeX-master «enter»

TeX-master's value is nil

Documentation:
*The master file associated with the current buffer.
If the file being edited is actually included from another file, you ...

When opening (creating) a new file with a .tex extension AUCTeX querries me
for a TeX-master file, suggesting the master file already in use in the
current directory, I respond according to the situation at hand and AUCTeX
creates the File local variables as claimed in the doc of TeX-master,
perfect!

Now, I include lots of files in my LaTeX documents, most of those files are
tables created by my stats. package (the stats. package writes the LaTeX
code for the tables).  I include them through \input{mytable}.  If I need
to open any of those files, for fine tuning of page breaks for example,
then AUCTeX does not querry me for a TeX-master although the value of
TeX-master is globally nil?  I have to copy the File local variables from
another file of the project, then close the file and re-open it to let
AUCTeX know about the File local variables.  Since all my projects include
many of those tables it gets tiresome.  Further more, previous versions of
AUCTeX where promting me for a TeX-master in those cases???

I run AUCTeX both on a Windows XP machine and on a RedHat Linux box, same
behaviour.

AUCTeX 11.85 on both machines.
Emacs 21.3.1 on the Linux box, don't have admin. rights to upgrade.
Emacs 22.2.1 on the XP machine.

Thanks for any insights,

Gérald Jean
Conseiller senior en statistiques,
VP Planification et Développement des Marchés,
Desjardins Groupe d'Assurances Générales
télephone            : (418) 835-4900 poste (7639)
télecopieur          : (418) 835-6657
courrier électronique: address@hidden

"In God we trust, all others must bring data"  W. Edwards Deming

> --
> Ralf

Le message ci-dessus, ainsi que les documents l'accompagnant, sont destinés
uniquement aux personnes identifiées et peuvent contenir des informations
privilégiées, confidentielles ou ne pouvant être divulguées. Si vous avez
reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez le détruire.

This communication ( and/or the attachments ) is intended for named
recipients only and may contain privileged or confidential information
which is not to be disclosed. If you received this communication by mistake
please destroy all copies.

Faites bonne impression et imprimez seulement au besoin !
Think green before you print !