[AUCTeX] Auctex and Sweave -- can't compile .*Rnw files directly

From: Andreas Kiermeier
Subject: [AUCTeX] Auctex and Sweave -- can't compile .*Rnw files directly
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 13:50:02 +0700

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 7:32 PM, Leo <address@hidden> wrote:

> Indeed, Sweave command now works for me and produces the formatted tex files
> and figures, however, LatexSweave fails like so:
> ERROR: I can't find file `input{test.Rnw}'.

Hi Leo,

(note additional comment not in my private email to you).

I use these functions extensively with out problem (I guess that's why
I've put them on the web). But I'm a neophyte with respect to Lisp
programming, but a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. :)

Invoking Sweave on the file habraken.Rnw gives for me:

Running `Sweave' on `habraken' with ``R CMD Sweave "habraken"''

And when following up with LatexSweave I get the following (I have PDF
mode by default).

Running `LatexSweave' on `habraken' with ``pdflatex
-interaction=nonstopmode \input{"habraken"}''

The only other thing I can see in my .emacs file that may be related
is the following:

(setq TeX-file-extensions
     '("Snw" "Rnw" "nw" "tex" "sty" "cls" "ltx" "texi" "texinfo"))

I recall that when I was trying to get this working, I was stuffing
around with the TeX-expand-list, but I don't believe that I actually
ended up having to change anything. But just in case, the entry for %s
in TeX-expand-list is

 ("%s" file nil t)

If anyone has got a clue with respect to what's happening then I'd be
very grateful and I'll update any comments on the web.

With respect to Sweave.sty, I do also generally copy this style file
into the active directory, mainly because I modify some of the
formatting, but I think you could include the appropriate R directory
as one of the latex roots directories (e.g. MikTex Settings).

Cheers,

Andreas Kiermeier