Re: [AUCTeX] latex symbols

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] latex symbols
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 11:26:22 +0200

Sergio Roa <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> Sergio Roa <address@hidden> writes:
>>> I looked more carefully into the variable in Carbon Emacs and the
>>> saved lisp expression is:
>>>
>>> (and
>>>  (string-match "\\<GTK\\>"
>>>            (emacs-version))
>>>  t)
>>>
>>> So, I guess that given that this is a Carbon (not GTK) version the
>>> variable is not set on anyway. It also seems that I cannot edit this
>>> expression.
>>
>> That would correspond to "save for future sessions", not "set it and
>> save for future sessions", I think.
>
> Hi. Sorry, maybe i did something wrong. I can edit in fact the Lisp
> expression and use only the "t" value. However, still no symbols are
> shown in Carbon Emacs.
>
> I just also replicated the same problem in Emacs Cocoa (also Mac).

If you edited the expression and saved for future sessions and restarted
Emacs, I would expect that the math menus changed, even if they display
garbage or sqaure boxes.  If they don't change at all, this is likely a
problem with AUCTeX.  Perhaps you need to initialize the variable at the
top of .emacs (not using customize) to make sure it gets activated
before any part of AUCTeX is loaded.

Personally, I think it is a mistake that we can't change the menus
in-session.  It is probably not too hard to do this and would make it
easier to experiment with the functionality.

--
David Kastrup