Re: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX indentation does not work

From: Dirk Ullrich
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX indentation does not work
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 22:08:07 +0100

Hi Kurt,

2010/1/3 Gibson Kurt <address@hidden>:
> I am new to AUCTeX and after several hours of research cannot get it to
> indent paragraphs on my system.  It is worthless if it will not indent for
> me.  What purpose does it serve if it will not even allow someone to indent
> code manually?  TAB does not even work so I could not even use it to indent
> manually.
>
> All of the documentation on the web says that AUCTeX automatically indents
> LaTeX source.  Not only is that false, I cannot even get it to allow me to
> do it manually.
>
> It does not even inherit the formatting or level of the prior section, etc.
>
> I want it to indent something.  TAB will not indent anything.  Changing the
> variable LaTeX-indent-line and LaTeX-indent-level seems to have no effect.
>  "M-x auto-fill-buffer" has no effect.
>
> I have a mac with emacs 22.3 installed.  I cannot even find documentation to
> determine whether or not AUCTeX is even running.  When I open a LaTeX
> document the minibuffer banner line says "[(PDFLaTeX/F Fill)]".  No mention
> of auctex
Let us start here: This looks like AUCTeX's LaTeX mode is used as
major mode. To verify this there are different ways: For instance you
should have a "LaTeX" menu point for Emacs when visiting a LaTeX
buffer using AUCTeX. If you see this menu and open it, there should be
some menu points at the bottom mentioning "AUCTeX". Otherwise AUXTeX
is not loaded.

> The following is in the .emacs file:
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name
> "/sw/share/emacs22/site-lisp/auctex"))
>
> ;;; invoke the AUCTeX package (LaTeX support)
> (require 'tex-site)
> (setq TeX-auto-save t)
> (setq TeX-parse-self t)
> (setq-default TeX-master nil)
> (load "auctex.el" nil t t)
> (load "preview-latex.el" nil t t)
>
> ;;; customize AUCTeX
> ; enable auto fill mode for all docs
> (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'auto-fill-mode)
>

> I verified that the load path contains AUCTeX files.
>
> Thanks for any comments.

Dirk