Re: [AUCTeX] New environment and newline

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] New environment and newline
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 21:16:52 +0100

Please don't top-post and please don't send HTML mails.

* Vinay Wagh (2010-11-14) writes:

> I finally found the culprit...
> Somewhere in my .emacs, I had the following custom-set-variable:
> *(comment-auto-fill-only-comments t)*
>
> Just commenting this line works... (But now my comments are not formatted
> the way they used to be...)
>
> So can somebody explain what this variable has to do with the auctex
> behaviour?

When inserting newlines AUCTeX often uses the function
`comment-indent-new-line' which checks `comment-auto-fill-only-comments'
(among other things) to determine if it should actually insert a
newline.  And if the variable is t then it does nothing.

To me this looks like a bug in Emacs.  At least with respect to
documentation.  The doc string of the function gives no hint that the
function should only be used by auto-fill.  But the fact that it checks
`comment-auto-fill-only-comments' seems to suggest that.  And if this is
really the case, then the function cannot be used by other parts of
Emacs or packages like AUCTeX.

--
Ralf