[AUCTeX] Can't get output-pdf to find a match

From: Julien Cubizolles
Subject: [AUCTeX] Can't get output-pdf to find a match
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 09:43:31 +0000 (UTC)

I'm compiling file.tex through C-c C-c. I'm using rubber as my
compile command so i get a file.dvi and a file.pdf. I can't get
the View command to use the pdf file instead of the dvi file. The
reason seems to be that the output-pdf predicate doesn't find a
match.

If I set
(setq TeX-view-program-selection '((output-pdf "Evince"))),
running "View" complains that it can't find a viewer
"No matching viewer found" even though there is a pdf file.

However
(setq TeX-view-program-selection '((output-dvi "Evince"))) works.

I've not set any predicate so the output-pdf is the one from
TeX-view-predicate-list-builtin. How comes it doesn't find the
pdf file ?